Welcome to my very first Filipino Food Friday! I've been thinking about making this a regular post. I have a great love with cooking and foods, Filipino foods particularly. So I thought I'd share my favorite Filipino food recipes, recipes that I aced making them.
Today I'll show you how to make 'Bistek Tagalog', the Filipino version of beef steak, one of my favorites. It is basically thinly sliced marinated beef cooked somewhat adobo-style, with caramelized onions. Growing up, as a kid, I really can't tell what's the difference between Bistek Tagalog and Pork Adobo. They are both cooked with soy sauce. The only difference probably is the other one has onions... Well, they are totally different meal, but sure both are delicious!
Going on, you need a pound of beef sirloin thinly sliced, marinated in soy sauce, black pepper and lemon juice for at least 2 hours.
Heat the cooking oil in a pan, I highly suggest cast iron (it cooks better) in medium heat, fry onion sliced in rings until soft. Set aside.
In the same pan, fry the marinated beef until brown. Set aside.
Fry minced garlic in the same pan as well.
Pour the remaining marinade, bring to light boil.
Add in the fried beef and bring to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
Add fried onions. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir. Take the pan off from heat.
Best served hot over steamed rice. Hmm, enjoy! Your welcome :)
- For this recipe I used picada and shaved beef steak, as I like my beef very thin. Or ask your meat clerk to slice a whole sirloin for you.
- For onions, the recipe originally calls for a red onion. But you can use yellow or vidalia onions.
- Only add water when the sauce is drying out. Don't put too much as it will make the sauce tastes bland.
- 1 lb beef sirloin, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 whole lemon or 4 calamansi
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, sliced crosswise
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- salt to taste
- water (optional)
1. Marinate sliced beef in soy sauce, lemon or calamansi and pepper for at least 2 hours.2. Heat cooking oil in pan, medium heat, fry onion rings, until soft.. Set aside.3. In the same pan, fry marinated beef until brown. Save the remaining marinade. Set aside.4. In the same pan, sauté garlic.5. Add in marinade and bring to boil.6. Put the fried beef back in the pan, stir and let simmer for 15-20 minutes until tender. Add a few tablespoons of water if needed.7. Add in fried onion rings to heat up. Add some salt and pepper to taste.8. Best served over steamed rice! Enjoy!
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4 servings